Monday, June 25, 2012

Song of the week

I close out movie music month with a true monster of a film: Heavy Metal.


Not the greatest movie ever made, but it does boast one of the greatest soundtracks ever compiled.  Look at the bottom of the poster at the acts gathered to contribute to the movie; Black Sabbath(!), Blue Oyster Cult, Sammy Hagar, Don Felder...

...who?

Ah, Eagles guitarist, one solo album.  Thank you, Wikipedia.

It was hard for me to pick my favorite song from this soundtrack (and unlike many...most soundtracks today which sport music "inspired by" the film I believe every single song is featured in some way, shape or form in the movie).  It came down to Hagar's Heavy Metal, an awesome rock anthem, and Cheap Trick's Reach Out.  I know Cheap Trick has already been featured here on GM's Revenge and I try not to repeat acts, but Reach Out is my all time favorite Cheap Trick tune.  And while Sammy's song is great, it is barely played while 'Trick's tune plays a major part.  That was the deciding factor for me.  Who knows?  Maybe if I do Movie Music Month again next year Sammy will get his chance.  With luck every song from Heavy Metal will get a shot. :)



A final note: That Guy With The Glasses teamed up with Diamonda Hagen to do a review of Heavy Metal recently.  It was pretty fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment