Saturday, March 3, 2012

Justice League: Doom

So I purchased this yesterday:



The late Dwayne McDuffie wrote both this (I believe this is his last work) as well as Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths:



So Doom feels very much like a sequel.  And that is not necessarily a bad thing.  Overall the film was good although I did feel there were a couple minor plot holes (I suppose the reason one character is left in the middle of the street is paramedics were afraid to move them.  And there are a couple other issues regarding time which I don't want to go into here for fear of spoiling things.).  Overall it is a fun adventure made more so by the fact that this time veteran DC animated movie/tv voice actors like Tim Daly (Superman), Kevin Conroy (Batman), Susan Eisenberg (Wonder Woman), Carl Lumbly, and Michael Rosenbaum (Flash) as well as Nathan Fillian (Green Lantern, who also worked on Green Lantern, Emerald Knights) returned to reprise their roles so in one manner it is superior to the earlier film.  Having Farscape's Claudia Black voicing The Cheetah was just a bonus for me.

But as good as the film is I think Crisis was a better story overall.  Also, I felt the inclusion of Cyborg in the story was a cheap way to promote the current Justice League comic, where Cyborg is now a founding member.  I have nothing against Cyborg, but it is going to take quite a while for me to ever get used to him as a Justice Leaguer.  I am not sure if that had been his intent; McDuffie died a year before this film's release, were the editors at DC planning on Cyborg becoming a member of the Justice League that far back?  Or is it even possible McDuffie's script inspired editors to make that decision when they rebooted the DCU six months ago?  Who knows?

Anyway, I did not feel cheated out of my $13.50 and I recommend Doom for your collection.

Finally, in case you missed it, a related video:

No comments:

Post a Comment