Saturday, October 2, 2010

Let Me In...

I saw the vampire flick Let Me In last night with my brother Donald.

I liked it.

If you are interested in seeing the movie, do not expect a gorefest. There are some fantastic gory moments but ultimately this is a story about a lonely, introverted boy who has to deal with the real life horror of school bullies, who meets a very strange girl who moves in next door and ultimately becomes his friend. She just happens to be a vampire.

One thing I really appreciate about this movie in the wake of that Twilight crap is vampires are portrayed as being inhuman predators, but just as important the movie shows that human beings can be just as inhuman and you don't need to be a supernatural blood sucker to be a bastard. From Abby's murderous companion to the school bullies, there is plenty of evil to go around. And while you might think this is one of those stories that suggest that the true evil is Man, that is not the case at all. To me Abby is the most evil of all.

Kodi Smit-McPhee and Chloe Moretz carry this movie and both did a wonderful job. I also give credit to Dylan Minnette, who plays Kenny, the main bully. I hated him. I mean, the kid filled me with loathing and he really comes across as a menacing little bastard when he is making Owen's life miserable. The rest of the cast was also good.

I think the film's only failing is the special effects. The CGI is terrible and looks like something from more than a decade ago. Abby is seen attacking people and I think that rather than attempting to use CGI there could have been better ways around it. Otherwise it is a great movie. I am not sure it was worth ten bucks, so you might want to wait and rent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment